Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tommy Boy Needs a Manicure!

We met with Mindy, the chemo nurse today to go over what the infusions will be like and what side effect he can expect. Both Mindy and Dr. Javeed stressed the importance of using some type of Nail Strengthener on his nails (the mentioned that Sally Hanson one, Tough as Nails...) and my dad got big laughs by asking why he couldnt use a colored nail polish. (For those of you that have ever seen my dad's hands, you are probably cracking up just envisioning my dad's hands with nail polish on them.) Anyways... it was a good appointment, I think my dad knows what to expect and he was glad to hear the the chemo drugs he received 20 years ago (MOP) was probably a lot harder on him than this will be. The "chemo lounge," as I've dubbed it, was PACKED today! Not an empty seat in the house... but I was glad to see some more lively folks in the lazy boys today. Every other time I have walked passed it, it has always made me super super depressed because everyone looks to be about 98 years old, and literally look like they are on thier death beds (it doesn't bother my dad... just me. He thinks he will find a buddy to play cribbage with.) But today there was lots of people chatting, lots of younger, healthier looking peeps, and more smiles in general, which made me feel way better.

He goes in tomorrow at 9:45a for his first round... and fingers crossed there will be another lively bunch like today- and who knows, maybe he'll even get the chair he wants? And then there is another appointment tomorrow afternoon with Dr. O'Malley, the surgeon who did the Port Placement to make sure all is well with the healing of the incision site and just the port in general (aka my dad's 3rd nipple as he likes to call it.) So it'll be a busy productive day. I think all of us, my dad included, are just really excited to get this whole thing started. It seems like September 15th was a lifetime ago already!

Thanks again for all of the support... we love you all!

~Whitney the Blogger :)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like this are right on track! We'll definitely be thinking about you guys tomorrow morning..and keeping our fingers crossed for the comfy recliner in the corner! ;)
    --The Ziller's

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a job for me....I am on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your Dad ever wants a Cribbage partner, let me know. My office isn't too far away, and I would love to play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got Sally's HARD AS NAILS...Tommy's not having any part of it until he sees that his nails are actually deteriorating.....I am sure this is a really BIG SURPRISE...that and the fact that HARD AS NAILS is shiny.....don't they make it in a matte finish for guys??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, went out and got ROCK HARD nail strengthener and NAILS FOR MALES/matte finish and Tommy now has strong nails as perscribed by his oncologist.

    ReplyDelete